Tin Box Traveller diaries: January 2016
- On January 1 we woke up for the first time in our new home in Dartmouth after moving from Hampshire. The rest of January has been spent unpacking and putting up pictures
- I (insert Mr Tin Box) have set up our new office so I can start working from home once I finish my maternity leave in February
- The Tin Box girls have both started a new nursery and are settling in wonderfully
- On the days when I have the girls we have been checking out the local parent and toddler groups. We’ve found some lovely ones in the area
- There’s already a lot of family visits on our calendar, as well as work commitments. 2016 is already looking busy!
- Like a lot of families we have spent a great deal of January planning our 2016 travels and not so much time doing any. However we have some amazing trips coming up in the next few months, including a cruise on the Carnival Vista – eek! Watch this space for reviews, itineraries and travel tips
- Even travel comes with its own dull but essential admin. Something that I have sorted out this month is our annual travel insurance. I found a great deal through Money Saving Expert and can recommend looking there first if you need individual or family insurance. We saved quite a few pounds
- Dartmouth – we’ve been exploring our new area, which is a bustling coastal town with history dating back to the Crusades
- Dartmouth Castle – this is the closest English Heritage property to us, so while we still felt like tourists we paid it a visit
- Beaches – there haven’t been many bright days in January, but when the rain has held off long enough we’ve gone for walks on some of our local beaches. This has inspired a new series of blog posts.
On the blog
- I took a blogging break over Christmas and New Year while we celebrated with our families and moved house. While my stats took a hit I was excited to get back to my blog this month
- Speaking of stats, in January I was ranked 40th in the Trips100, 283rd in the Tots100 and my best position in the Parent Blogger Leaderboard by Rise was 142nd. I know stats aren’t the be all and end all but I find them a useful bench mark
- I’ve used January to launch and revive some features on the blog, starting with my #TravelTimehop series which is now accepting guest posts from other bloggers. I’m also going to be posting about Devon beach walks at least monthly
- It’s been a great pleasure to write for some other blogs that I admire as well. In January I have guest posted and contributed to Mum in Brum, Baby Globetrotters and Kid-friendly Europe 101.
How was your January? I’d love the hear what travels and adventures you’ve been getting up to.
Image credit: Carnival Vista image courtesy of Carnival Cruises