bite away®: a natural insect bite treatment for families with sensitive skin
If you are looking for a natural insect bite treatment then we have been introduced to a clever and chemical-free option that we want to share with you: bite away®.
Both Tin Box Baby and myself have eczema prone, sensitive skin. So I try to opt for chemical-free creams and lotions when we can. But it can be difficult to replace everything in your travel first aid kit with convenient natural remedies.
For example, when you are on a walk or camping, carrying toxin-free treatments for insect bites, like milk, ice and baking soda, is not practical. And easy to dispense insect bite creams inevitably contain chemicals.
bite away® is a chemical-free, medical device that can treat the symptoms of itching, pain and swelling caused by insect bites and stings. This makes it ideal for families with sensitive skin.
This natural insect bite treatment is also portable. You could add it to a travel first aid kit or pop it in your bag when you are out and about.
How does the bite away® work?
bite away® is a pen-like device with a small ceramic disk at the top that you place on the bite. At the press of a button it reduces the symptoms of the bite by using a short, concentrated burst of heat (51°C) to relieve the pain and itchiness.
Here’s the science…
The bite away® decreases itching by targeting the body’s pain receptors and giving the cells around the bite a heat shock. This decreases your body’s release of histamine and other inflammatory reactions when you get an insect bite, so swelling is reduced. Essentially, the heat transfer triggers a pain and itch-relieving reaction in the small area of skin where it has been applied.
You can use bite away® on bites from mosquitoes, wasps, bees, hornets, horseflies and other biting insects that you might find in a camping field, by a lake or on a country walk.
A study has proven that the symptoms ease within two minutes of using this natural insect bite treatment.
How do you use this chemical-free bite remedy?
It’s really simple. You put the end of the bite away® on the bite, making sure you’ve removed the barb of the sting if there is one.
There are two turquoise buttons: one that treats the bite for three seconds; and another that treats the bite for six seconds . There’s a clock symbol on each to show you the difference in the treatment time.
I’d recommend starting with the three second treatment, especially with children, as 51°C is noticeably hot even for a short while.
An adult should apply the bite away® for young children. Keep it out of reach when it is not being used.
The treatment doesn’t start as soon as you push the button. This is because the ceramic disk needs a few seconds to heat up (like ceramic hair straighteners).
Once the treatment begins a green LED lights up above the buttons and there’s a ‘beep’. The light goes off and the beep sounds again at the end of the three or six second treatment.
It is important to leave at least two minutes between each use. Do not exceed five applications per hour on the same skin area.
Are there side affects from this natural insect bite treatment?
After testing bite away® on my own hand I could see a slight reddening of the skin. But this faded after a few minutes.
Luckily, we’ve avoided getting insect bites since being sent our bite away®. So we haven’t tested it in a real bite situation. I’ll update this post with the results when that happens.
In the meantime, we’ve added it to our travel first aid kit list.
Read more of our family travel tips.
Why buy a bite away®?
bite away® costs £26.99 on Amazon, which is significantly more than an insect bite cream. But there is extra value in it:
- Creams have a use by date. bite away® can be used hundreds of times by different people
- It’s not greasy like bite creams
- Clinical evidence has shown it effectively treats the symptoms of insect bites and stings.
- bite away® is portable, ideal for the first aid kit, hiking and travel
- bite away® is dermatologically tested, chemical-free and non-toxic.
- It is suitable for pregnant women, allergy sufferers and children*.
*Under 12s need help using the bite away®
Buy this chemical-free insect bite remedy on Amazon.
Win a bite away® worth £26.99
I have a brand new bite away® to give away as a prize for a Tin Box Traveller reader. The closing date for this giveaway is midnight (23.59pm) on Sunday 5 July, 2020. Follow the instructions in the Rafflecopter below.
Please read the terms and conditions. If you haven’t entered a Rafflecopter giveaway before here’s a handy guide. Good luck!
Disclosure: I was sent the bite away® and compensated for my time in creating this blog feature. bite away® are supplying the giveaway prize.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Terms & conditions:
- UK entrants aged 18 or over only.
- There is no cash alternative.
- The prize is non-transferable.
- The closing date for this giveaway is midnight (23.59pm) on Sunday 5 July 2020.
- The winner will be chosen at random through Rafflecopter and will be notified as soon as possible after the draw.
- The winner will be emailed to ask for their telephone number and delivery address. If they do not reply within seven days another winner will be chosen.
- Events may occur that render the competition itself or the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond my control, and accordingly I may vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to me.
- English law applies and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts shall prevail.
- By submitting an entry through Rafflecopter, all entrants are acknowledging and accept the terms and conditions for the giveaway.
- The winning entry will be validated and if the instructions for entry have not been followed for that Rafflecopter entry a new winner will be chosen.
- Each Rafflecopter entry is a single entry into the giveaway and stands alone as such. Any incorrect entries from the winner only make these entry methods invalid, not all the winner’s entries. The winning entry method from them will still be valid as long as it complies with our other terms and conditions.
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
- The giveaway may be added to a number of sites for the purposes of promotion.