*This is a collaborative post*
Hurrah for the summer holidays and all the adventures to come from today! However, the schools breaking up is a bit of an anticlimax for us. We still have a whole week until Mr Tin Box finishes work and we can head off on our holidays. I have to admit I’ve been surfing the internet for last minute holidays that the girls and I can use to fill the gap.
Figures from Google show it’s not just me with my eye on last minute summer breaks. The internet giant has reported that last minute holiday searches are up 269% month on month. So which escapes are people lusting after most? Research by online travel agency loveholidays has found some interesting trends based on where UK holiday-makers live.
Top last minute holidays
Here, in my home county of Devon, Egypt is the holiday destination on everyone’s mind, with Devonians most likely to book a last minute holiday to see the pyramids or relax at an all-inclusive resort on the Red Sea. Short-haul breaks in general seem to be the trend for us folk in the South West as Croatia and Italy are also popular destinations. After all, who needs to worry about flying long-haul when you live in a holiday hot spot!
Egypt isn’t on my travel radar right now but I have to admit that Croatia is high up my holiday hit list with its eye-wateringly blue coast, historic terracotta topped cities like Dubrovnik, and beautiful national parks. And we are in fact off to Italy this summer. loveholidays did well with those two trends but now I’m wondering if I’m missing out on a trip to Egypt. I must chat to my neighbours about their holiday plans. I feel FOMO coming on!
Here’s some more fun last minute holiday facts from the loveholidays Last Minute Holidays Revealed tool:
- In Liverpool, it looks like everyone has taken their holiday inspiration from Mama Mia as the Greek Islands are their top destination for a last minute break. In fact they are three times more likely to book there than the rest of the country
- Only long-haul will do for Brummies, who are three times more likely to book a last minute getaway to Jamaica than the rest of the UK
- Joining them are Londoners who are more than four times more likely to book a last minute holidays to Jamaica than the national average
- Essex residents have got their eye on Croatian holidays more than any other
- Bulgaria is the most popular late holiday choice for those in Sunderland
- Glaswegians are twice as likely to book an escape to the Canary Islands than the national average
- Meanwhile it’s the US that’s the most popular choice for those living in Edinburgh.
If you fancy finding out where your neighbours are dashing off to this summer then you can search loveholidays’ fun last minute holiday tool yourself. Hop over to their website and select your closest city or region to get the inside scoop.
Disclosure: this is a collaborative post with loveholidays. Pictures courtesy of Pixabay.